Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Day 5

I forgot this day 3 picture - the one museum open a little later, so we could visit after my 2nd day at a conference. National Portrait Gallery...it was a struggle to get Zoe to stand there, but gosh darn it...she did


(Day 4 involved renting a car, moving to a new hotel and visiting Annapolis, MD in the afternoon) 


Art - how INTERESTING for 7 year olds.
See the enthusiasm?
National Gallery of Art.
I was impressed by seeing the Thinker in person. Or at least one version of it.



Show us the Monet, the Seine at Giverny


A bit more joy for Kermit at the Smithsonian History Museum
(and just now Zoe telling me she read a book about Kermit's creator at school).


America innovates...sometimes with Legos.



Gadgets. Indispensable.


And paper. Indispensable.
Hoping you two appreciate a good map. I find it still has a place.
And ready a metro map...a good skill.
A  quick stop at the Smithsonian History museum to show Mom the Hope Diamond. The trio spend some time here a few days before


.
And this guy in the entry. Wait a minute, why is this sitting in an American museum?
As far as the Hope Diamond...I was mostly impressed by the collection of other rocks in the nearby galleries. I guess I'm not a sparkly, shiny kind of girl.


At the Jefferson Memorial








The non-English speaking couple next to us asked Mike to take a picture of them via the international miming of "can you take my picture"? And then she wanted the kids and me in it. The woman then gave Zoe a big hug. So when I go over the Pacific I'll pluck a family at random so I can get a picture with the locals. Kind of funny. 



FDR Memorial


MLK at dusk


Lincoln Memorial - as impressive as I hoped it would be.



The Vietnam wall was also very moving. The list of names has an impact when you walk along the wall.


We ended up eating pizza and drinking very good beer (well some of us) at a pizza place in Georgetown. Roman impressed up by displaying the magnetic quality of his silverware. Only his silverware, mind you. And me, Ms. Mom's-not-a-Scientist was quite impressed. 


But also quite tired and enjoying the beer.



This doesn't happen very often, but we wiped you guys out with all that walking.And all that beer ;) 
Asleep on the Metro.

No comments: