Sunday, February 6, 2011

wonderment and awe

Saturday night we brought some pizza over to Grandma and Grandpa's for dinner and then headed out, with Grandma Jane in tow, to Hudson, WI. Why? To visit the hot air balloons (or course).


Grandma had mentioned this last year. Actually she mentioned the balloon launch, which takes place in the morning. Early in the morning, weather permitting. Friday morning I determined this wasn't something we were going to shoot for. I wanted to sleep in on Saturday and Sunday! But there was something they called a "hot air balloon moon glow" event at 6:30pm.  The balloons are tethered to the ground, but light up with the glow of the flame.


It really is a pretty awesome sight. I asked to take a picture of Grandma Jane and Zoe and grandma told Zoe to smile for the camera. Yep. She did.


As we first approached, this is the first one we saw. Yes, we called him Nemo, but that's not his official name.



The weather was actually perfect. Winter, yes, but no horrible winds.  I kept my mittens off so I could take pictures and had no problems. Your dad on the other hand left his gloves in the minivan (the minvan!) and wished he hadn't. Live and learn..

At intervals an announcer would count down and ask the balloonists to light 'em up. 5-4-3-2-1!

Sometimes it was hard to know which direction to look!






There was just something about it. Quiet. Beautiful. Not over packed with people. It kind of felt like I was walking in someone else's imagination of a hearty Midwestern life (we get out there and ENJOY it). Yeah, well...not so much. Not really. But this was Magical. Big M. 

We'll be back next year...Only next time maybe with sleds to pull you around in the snow :)

3 comments:

Mary said...

I messed up - here's a comment from Annie:

Great pics and it is a Magical sight. Enjoyed seeing. 'Cantinflas revisited at night!' amp

Mary said...

p.s. I had to look up 'Cantinflas' and now Around the World in 80 Days in on my Netflix queue :)

darcie said...

oh...beautiful!
We headed out there - for the launch that never happened!
Thankfully I was able to see that via their FB page before we got all the way to Hudson...

We didn't go for the moon glow thingy as I thought it'd be a buzz kill compared to seeing the accension of 40ish hot air balloons in the sky.
Boy was I wrong!
These pics are awesome!

Next year - we're in!