Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Is it wrong to put the kids to bed before or 8 because they "look" tired? Or because I want some time to update the blog AND read or watch some tv (the latest we're streaming off netflix: The IT Crowd)?

I hear them in their bedroom now, talking, nay, yelling at each other. They're not yet climbing out of their cribs, so we do still have that "jail", but Zoe apparently now can open doors. She got into our room while Daddy was in the shower the other day. Dad had left a glass of soda on his desk (Pop! it's called pop!) and it took a dive as she explored. Apparently she emptied the drawers as well - credit cards all over the place. Not the last time she'll go after those, Daddy. Ah, just the beginning!

I guess I did get to an overload point not too long ago, but not so much that I felt dreadfully overwhelmed (as has been the case at earlier times in my life). Instead it was time to strip away some of the responsibilities. Clean house? Nah. You know how you have snippets of conversations that bounce up to the surface now and then? I recall a teacher at St Kate's talking about how her mom was coming to visit and having to deal with her mom's complaints about the cleanliness of her house. Or, maybe more realistically about KNOWING her mom thought she wasn't a "good" housekeeper even if she didn't say it out loud. And what the teacher said was "too bad". She couldn't do it all (job, kids, ETC) and something had to give. I understand that. Then I think about someone else in a magazine who said she hadn't cleaned her kitchen floor in months - that's what the dog was for. And after having (and losing) Sam (he was a dog at heart, despite the feline DNa) I understand this. I didn't realize it at the time, but he did his share of the housework!

The last week or two has allowed me to get back into reading. I'm totally indulging it and don't feel guilty one bit (well, except that little bit that is prompting me to check in here).

I do want to update your blog, kids.
I might wander, but I won't disappear. Onward.

No comments: