Friday, January 7, 2011

photographic proof of familial relations

Pipaw Jon is coming up with some fun pictures; some really high quality ones.
full post here
http://jonniebegood.blogspot.com/2011/01/changing-negative-into-positive.html

 Your Great Grandma Catherine (Grandpa Jon's Mom)


Your Grandma Jane (my mom)


Uncle Dave, Me and neighbor Scott W.
When I first saw this picture I couldn't look away, I had to study it. I hadn't seen it before. I was surprised at seeing a picture I hadn't seen before, as I think I had our picture albums memorized. I used to like to look thru them when I was a kid
But studying this picture brought back some memories of the house at 5713 where I spent the first 11 years of my life. The artwork on the wall - I remember that! It makes an impression when you're little.  I think it was done by a friend of my parents. There was another one in that room - a country scene with a really dark background, maybe even on a black background...My memory is hazy when I try to describe it.

The tv (!).  Before we got the big old console one (Curtis Mathes, with push buttons on the front to select a channel). Or maybe this was the 2nd tv. That seems unlikely, but it's possible. I wonder if this is the tv that I kissed when Dennis Feltgen came on to do the weather. I remember doing that (I had to be preschool age) and getting a shock. My mom thought it was funny.

I remember that couch, and the green shaggy carpet. This is the house of my earliest memories, a house that has kind of remained in my memory as "home". We moved when I was 11 and that became a big adjustment.  Your Grandma Jane has even said she used to dream about that house.  And maybe because that's where she spent the early years of her kids life (self centered, aren't I?). I've thought of that a lot with the house we're in now. I couldn't wait to get out of here for the longest time, but since you've come in our lives I realize it's going to be more difficult to leave. There are memories here, from the first days we had you home, learning to walk, learning to eat (still working on perfectly the art of eating tidily!), playing in the backyard....oy. What they say about real estate is true. Location. Oh well.