Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Oui Oui!


The other night Dad went in to give you guys a good night kiss and Roman asked "Can I give you a french kiss?"
Stop.
Pause.
Ponder.
WHO taught you that? You're TOO young to know about that. You're my baby, you're supposed to be giving butterfly kisses (and they do still make you both giggle).
French Kiss.
Who can we blame? Another child? TV?
The next day, Grandma Candy asked "who taught you that?"


Mom.
Mom?
Then it dawned on me. At storytime the night before we were finishing up a Curious George book. Once and awhile we try to throw in some foreign words, the few I actually remember. There's a song by Michael Franti and Spearhead called "Hello Hello" that repeats the phrase in English, Spanish, French, and then Japanese. Very catchy tune. It comes bursting out of me at random intervals. So we were going thru good night in the languages I knew and it occurred to me that they would find the French manner of greeting interesting. Kiss Kiss. Each cheek. They did.
So when Roman asked dad later that night if he wanted a french kiss, his intentions remained in the realm of a 4, almost 5 (!!!) year old.
Innocence proven (in that moment at least).

No comments: