Saturday, April 28, 2012

Three Rivers: Coon Rapids

My preschooler(s) and me. Three Rivers Park District, where else?
And I learned that there's a Coon Rapids Dam park on the west side of the river (Three Rivers: FREE) and another on the east side (Anoka County: NOT free). Good thing I got my directions from the right place, or we'd have had a doozy of a walk from where we were supposed to be. Not that I didn't drag the kids on that same walk across the river after our educational time....but still.

I must say that I'm pretty amazed at what's available out there.  You kind of have to make an effort and have the time available (weekdays people, weekdays!), but if you do....wow. We had fun with some other preschoolers...

Digging in the dirt
(to find the places we got hurt...sorry I had to do it)
Looking for WORMS. From the farm to the backyard. It's all good.

Stretchy, fake, humongous worms. Fuzzy pipe cleaner worms (that you feed to a crafty baby bird).


Magnifying glasses.
Investigate! My little scientists.


We even got to go outside in the 'nature exploration area' and find some worms in the ground. Good thing you guys have had your practice digging in the yard, eh? 

And WHY were we digging for worms?  To feed the TOAD. You even got to touch him. And you all got a good giggle out of the fact that he liked to jump around. That was the best part.

We patiently waited to see if he'd eat the worm. Nope. Smaller one? Nope. Meal worm? Yep. But it didn't get the reaction as much as the hoppy hoppy action. That was fun. Hearing a bunch of preschools giggle uproariously is a delight.


We took our picnic lunch down by the river.
'No pictures!' That's what he said.

As he ate his pb & j (one of 3 foods he eats...well more than that, but not by much)

After lunch we walked down to the sandy riverbanks and found...


A mussel shell. YEE HAW (Dam background)


We saw some geese too. As we approached their spot they sat in the river and floated away down the mighty stream. And Zo posed with her shell. Again. She told me she was going to put it in her jewelry box.
I think what happened is that it made it home and Roman carved himself a little picture into a side table in the living room. Mementos.
When you're older and can write are you going to be smart enough to graffiti the furniture and sign your siblings name, like your mom did? I distinctly remember that. Underside of the coffee table. I think I was really surprised that it really worked. Ah, deception and deceit. It starts young ("I'm hungry" upon seeing a 'treat'). Doesn't matter if you just ate dinner and told me you were full. "I'm HUUUUUNgry" usually conveys a selective target. Not broccoli.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Oh, mama confesses. I remember you writing big brother Dan's name on closet wall and under the table. Smart girl.
Mary, do you remember "Critter School" when you were four? Both your brothers had started school and you did a nature program for a few months at Keewaydin Park. I don't think it was called Critter School but that is what we dubbed it. Helped bridge the gap when Davey was in kindergarten without you. The twins won't have that problem. Cute pictures.