Tuesday, February 16, 2010

dadSongs: Surprise!

April fools? Maybe, if it were April.

I was shuffling the ipod and a song called “Guilty” by the Bee Gees comes up.
Is that Barbara Streisand I hear?
He he he

This isn’t a dadSong, but it reminds me of one that is.
Usually your dad is pretty bold about what he likes. He’s not afraid to admit it, show it. Unlike me, I’m a little more private. I’ll reveal in calculating ways.

On one occasion before you were born your dad had a cd playing in his car. I don’t recall the exact circumstances, but he had a sheepish kind of look on his face.
Barbra Streisand.
Barbra?
Not only Barbra, but “ Woman in Love
Um, excuse me?
Huh?
Apparently when he was a little boy his dad would put on the lite rock station at night to go to sleep to. This must have been one of those songs playing as little Mikey tried to avoid going "night night".

On a related note there is a dj on a local radio station (Mary Lucia, the Current) who plays a "No Apologies" song at 4 o'clock during the week. Songs you might not otherwise hear on the station. I don't usually hear it, but once and awhile I'll catch it. Recently I heard the Spice Girls with the warning "Hipsters, hit the deck". Guilty pleasures. Actually I'm not sure what her definition is, but I'll say they are songs that you secretly enjoy (THE WIGGLES!).

On a self-disclosure note I have my own No Apologies tracks. That may have to be a separate line of posts. For some reason I remember a Dionne Warwick song that used to come on a lot at some point in my pre-school life. I had orchestrated some sort of routine (lip synching and hand gestures or something) when it came on. I'm sure I could figure out which song it was if I did some looking. What I remember is getting really excited when it came on and being really pleased with myself that I had such a clever routine. My memories are of me doing this all by myself in the living room. No audience. Just for my own enjoyment. Oddster.

No comments: