Friday, February 12, 2010

Music is a funny thing

I love Billy Bragg. Despite his far left politics. Here’s the thing about politics, kiddos. I don’t really care for extremes, on either side. I don’t think things are easy as many purport them to be. Dig a little. You’ll find room for discussion. I see the fault in wavering and not being able to take a stand, but I think it’s worse to take a stand and forget all the inconvenient facts (Al Gore, you’ve politicized “inconvenient truths”, darn you…but there is truth in the concept). That’s my take on it. So I get a little bent out of shape when people present things in a way that leaves no room for discussion, which is most political rhetoric these days (thank God we don’t have cable t.v.). Keep me out. Rant done. Except to say I can appreciate Billy Bragg even though he’s a flaming leftie. I suppose if you’re going to be, you might as well be flaming.

Billy Bragg is someone I heard way back when, on the very local KFAI. A song called Waiting for the Great Leap Forward. I think (what the heck happened to my memory?) I took your dad to go see him at First Avenue early on in our relationship. Billy did a fair amount of talking between songs. About political things? Maybe. Probably. Not sure your dad was all that impressed with any of my music selections (“I hate it when they repeat the lyrics over and over again….I hate it when musicians jump up and down…”). I guess I figured out maybe Billy was best experienced (for me) via his recordings. Commentary in the songs, but I can ignore that if I wish. Or not. Good to expose yourself to many ideas, young ones. Don’t be afraid of it. Okay, that’s my lesson for you. Don’t be afraid of differences. Please. Keep an open mind and don’t be afraid it makes you weak in some way, which is the feeling I get from people who can’t keep an open mind. Like they somehow know the Truth and you’re just deluding yourself. That’s not what I believe. No way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Youre a good mom!