Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Thanks for that, judge

An article in the Star Tribune caught my eye.
A Hennepin County judge and vocal critic of a lack of weapons screening at three suburban courtrooms says he is refusing to hear cases at them until stronger security precautions are put into place.I'm tired of driving to Brookdale, the courtroom everyone who knows agrees is the most likely place for a shooting or violence to occur, and not know whether I will be carried out in a body bag that day," District Judge Lloyd Zimmerman wrote in an e-mail to his judicial colleagues Wednesday, citing the high number of domestic violence cases at that courtroom.

Huh.
I understand the point he's making - he's arguing for better security in the courthouse, especially in light of a recent shooting in a court up north. I get it.

But I also feel conflicted about something and I'm having a hard time trying to articulate what it is.
This hits close to home. Worrying about the safety of our part of town is not a new thing. Just a few weeks ago I told your Dad that I think I was okay with where we were at, house wise. Actually the house hasn't  been an issue (dining room! we need an extra room in which to eat!), but it's location has. The night after declaring this, I fell asleep on the couch and woke up hearing yelling and pounding footsteps on our driveway. Then I heard "get down on the ground or you're going to get tazed". Lights (camera, action). It all kind of happened fast and I wanted to know what was going on, but there was NO WAY I was going to look out the window. Duck and cover. Good thing your dad heard the sirens and saw the lights because he's all over checking out that kind of action...The bad guy got taken away (or as your Dad reported "cuff 'em and stuff 'em). AND the baddie was wearing the newly released Air Jordans. What? Yeah, your dad noticed that. What? Yeah.

At any rate, when I saw the quote above from the judge it kind of bothered me. Unsettling.
This is the courthouse that's in the same building as our library.
As the story above illustrates, I'm under no illusion we live in Mayberry. But that commentary is unsettling.  I've kind of made peace with some things (i.e. start reading the paper and you'll see nasty things happen EVERYWHERE). But ugh.

No comments: