Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Back to Elm Creek


This time we entered at the Nature Center entrance.
Mama got a map. This is a big park! We took a walk on the paved trail first.


Not sure what Roman was thinking, but Zoe was ready for the camera.




Having fun. And mom was stunned at the beauty of the prairie landscape.






I had a lot of thoughts.
1) Why hadn't I been doing this all summer? Walking outside with you two every chance I got? Instead of sitting around gaining weight? Eek.




2)It's funny how a landscape can bring up memories, or stir your thoughts. I thought about a book I read in college - My Antonia. About living out on the prairie (and if I remember, how depressing it was to move there and find no trees). I thought about how beautiful the sky looked against the tall grass. How blue it was. And how beauty DOES exist in Minnesota. Sometimes I'm down on MN because there are some amazingly beautiful places out there. I took some pictures of the landscape, but it doesn't do them justice. I think the last time I paused to take a picture of the sky was in (Qwest trip!... snooze) Angel Fire, NM. Gorgeous. Never forget it.

Well, I had to go find those pictures. The snapshot in my head and the label associated says "Angel Fire". But my file name on the photo cd indicates I have it wrong. Imagine that. Outside Taos is the real location, although I do remember Angel Fire too. It's a ski area near Taos (and visited the same day I am sure)

By scanning my disc of pictures from back then, I see I took a lot of pictures of skies on that trip! Mama is getting an idea....Qwest trip 2004 might be integrated into this blog. Lots of pictures, and many with stories.

Taos:



Angel Fire:

No comments: