Thursday, March 22, 2012

First bike ride of the season!


I took an impromptu half day off last Friday because 1) I had been out of town on my normal day off and 2) it was INCREDIBLY nice. Sunshine and light ;)

Your dad and I took the bikes over to Shawn's to pick you up.  At about minute 3 into the ride I thought "maybe this was an ambitious plan"...minute 15 "huh" and 20 minutes in "give me WATER". gASP. Good thing we had an ample supply.

On the way home, we spent some time taking advantage of playground equipment that usually has another month or two of rest before being utilized by the kiddos.

Joy.

And Mr. Roman sat right down and suddenly could manipulate the crane. 


This was not the case last summer. 
This overnight ability reminded me of my own experience learning to drive a manual transmission. Not getting it. Not getting it. Ask Grandma Jane about that sudden curve out in the country.  I DID grow up watching Dukes of Hazzard, so a little high speed YEE HAW action came naturally. Oh boy. Anyway, after a winter of avoiding "the stick" I got in the Ford Fiesta one nice spring day and drove around the block flawlessly.  Suddenly I could do it without a) panicking and b) killing the engine (which leads back to point a, a vicious circle).  I still remember wondering how I could suddenly do something I couldn't do before. 

Good lesson: give things time to develop. Even if it just means setting it aside for a little bit.


And Miss Zo had no fear on the swing. That's new. "Push me higher!"


Makes her happy I guess.


No comments: