Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Who do you, who do you think you are*



Watching this _so_ reminded me of my brother (your Uncle) Dave.  Since my Dad was a video editor as a profession he always had high quality cameras available and put together home movies that we'd watch. Not sure if I remember watching them as actual "film", but videos for sure. Always nicely edited and with music. There's a scene in one where your Uncle David is doing a dance in our backyard, out by the big ol' tree and Roman's got the same moves. I think it's the dancing shoulders. Little boy.  About a month ago your Dad was at the mall with you two and a song came on and Roman starting dancing. Not a normal thing. It took a couple of weeks for your Dad to figure out the song - Crazy by Gnarls Barkley. And another few weeks for your mom to get it from the library...Good song, and the disco in the video above had some great adult songs that kids would love.

So...the home 'videos" - we must have watched them as a real film. We got our first video cassette player around 3rd or 4th grade (I bragged that I had watched 'Poltergeist'- and it scared the heck out of me) and we were on the vanguard of that trend. Nowadays things move so much faster (so fast that now I just wait...). We did have an actual projector and I do remember watching films in the basement. We had a few Laurel and Hardy movies (the Piano Movers comes to mind) and of course Grandpa Jon's work. Ktel and Farm Stuff and other... You gotta be exposed to stuff outside your generation, kiddos. It's good for you.

Lately you two are rather taken with the big book of nursery rhymes that you got for Christmas (thanks Jannie and Gordon!). We'll read half of it at a time and you guys are pretty good about finishing rhymes when I stop mid verse.
Humpty Dumpty sat on a
    WALL!
Humpty Dumpty had a great
    FALL!

There is something magical about being a kid.

*Crazy by Gnarls Barkley

1 comment:

Jane said...

Remember "Dance Fever" with Denny Tario? ( or was it Danny Tario? )
Love watching those kiddos dance.