Thursday, November 5, 2009

Deep philosophical discussions

Are of an infrequent nature in our house. Dad might disagree. I might disagree on my own assertation just there, but we don't have major, deep discussions. We're too busy getting by with what is today. Recently we had a discussion about God, with a big G. We were watching something on tv, or dad was talking about someone he listens to on local talk radio (and likes). The Hour of Power I think he likes to say about his show. Yes, a borrowed phrase, but it works.

At any rate your dad isn't so sure about the existence of big G. He'd have to go into detail about that. He'd have to give you his background on it. It's not for me to say. Me, I was raised in a Catholic household, at least until I was confirmed. When I was really little my parent were a little more fervent. I have faded memories of going places where there were a lot of people (something about an auditorium and reading Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree). I went to a small Catholic school from 1st grade thru 5th grade. We had "Religion" as a subject. I've always been a bit flummoxed though by people's take on Catholicism. I experienced no nuns in my school. I'm always surprised about what people say they learned as a child in Catholic school. I don't know that I actually learned all that much that was "Catholic". Something about the Beatitudes. We had to put them in pictures (probably my 4th grade teach who focused on art). Father, Son, Holy Ghost. I don't think I ever had a strong personal connection with any of it.

Okay. That's the school years. Since then, more, which maybe I can explain to you someday. Bottom line is right now I DO believe in God. I do believe in Jesus as God's son. I do believe. I KNOW there is more to us as people than just our body. I think of you two and the personality and the vibrancy that shines. What is that part of you, where did it come from and where is it going to go?

In our discussions, your dad did admit there have been times in his life when he felt someone was watching out for him. He wouldn't necessarily call it the big G. I think we all have memories of a close call. Or just sometime that was difficult, but we felt somehow watched over or protected. I'll never forget the 4 days I spent in the hospital after having you and the months afterward. I shouldn't have been calm, especially with all the anxiety and worry I experienced throughout the pregnancy, but I was. I knew I was being sheltered. Safe harbor.

Well last night your dad said "someone was watching over him. Him = Roman. What "happened? We were at a warehouse store on Wednesday afternoon, both of you sitting in the double wide cart. Your bulky winter coats made it difficult to buckle you in. We didn't. We meandered to the back of the store. I wandered off to look at some clothes, your dad stayed with you at the cart. Then I hear a cry. I thought "I hope that's not my kid". It couldn?t be, it doesn't sound like R or Z. But I looked back and saw your dad holding you, Roman. I walked quickly back and asked something (I don't even recall what). Your Dad said you'd fallen to the floor and had a red spot on your head. Bam. To the cement floor from the cart. Not good. Neither one of us saw you, so we're not sure if you smacked your head hard or not.

Off to Urgent care we went. I sat in back with you two and tried to keep you entertained. You weren't screaming or crying, but you were looking tired. Dad said "Keep him awake!" Now this just seems like a movie kind of thing- "Stay with me, Roman! Don't fall asleep!" But I don't know if it really matters or not, so I did keep you awake. I started singing nonsense and stroking your fine hair. I wonder if dad will have any memory of this. I was facing Roman 95% of the time (Zoe got another 4%). When I looked up at one point dad was passing cars on the right via the entrance ramp to the highway. Ugh. Later he said he was going fast. How fast? I won't tell you, but I yelled at him and told him to never do that again. So mama was singing a song from the Steve Martin film from the 70's, The Jerk...I am picking out a thermos for yOUUUU. Not and ordinary thermos for yOUUUUU...Seriously. Goofy mama.

We arrived at Urgent Care in one piece. Later dad said he felt better when we got to the check in and Roman was waving at the clerk. He wasn't crying. We got in quickly to see the doctor, who checked him out. He checked out fine "you're a lucky little dude." He didn't yell at us for not buckling him in. We learned out lesson. Precious cargo. Our job is to keep you safe. That is our job. We also had to wake him up every couple of hours to make sure he'd wake up. Dad took the early late night portion. At 330am one of us woke him up (it's fuzzy that time of night!) and he was in bed between us. I spent a good 20 minutes telling him "it's nigh nigh time" to no success. He spent the rest of the night in his crib, just fine until I checked on him before I left for work. Little boy. Tweetie pie.

Someone WAS protecting you. Someone did give us a warning. Precious cargo. Don't forget it mom and dad!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roman is lucky that he is like his Dad and has a hard, thick, dense head. And Mom and Dad are lucky that "some one" was watching over him!

Anonymous said...

"I think of you two and the personality and the vibrancy that shines. What is that part of you, where did it come from and where is it going to go?"

Good questions, mommy. Keep asking, you Will find the answers.
I love you! annie