Friday, November 12, 2010

My nudge is your smack


The other day your dad asked me if he was grinding his teeth in the middle of the night. Yes, yes he was. Why do you ask Daddy? His answer: you smacked me!  Hmmmm. I remember hearing the tell tale sound of teeth grinding (yuck!) and being annoyed by it. Then thinking I should nudge him to make him wake up and presumably stop. Then thinking I really should nudge him for his own good (not just a selfish endeavor, that the logic). But I don't recall actually doing anything about it. Funny how memory works. Apparently I did take action and apparently my nudge was your daddy's smack upside the head. Let this be a lesson in perspective, kids.
And, unfortunately, you two have discovered a bit of the push and shove. So not nice.  Normally this involves the lap space you want to yourself, or a toy that you don't want to share. Although you ARE capable of sharing as well - I've seen it with my own eyes!
Tonight Zoe woke up in the middle of the night crying. This isn't normal. Or if it is, your parents are really sound sleepers.  I sat with her for 20-30 minutes as she gently rested her head on my shoulder. Just a little cuddle time, that's all she needed. I asked her if I could put her back in her bed and she nodded. I don't know why I find this so...mature, but I do. Reasonable maybe. Or maybe I'm just amazed that we can have a two way conversation - you get me Zoe, you really GET me. :) Which I suppose is a substantial shift from "babyhood".

No comments: