Tuesday, January 19, 2010

dadSongs: Hotel California

Hotel California
Gipsy Kings

I'm not sure what I was listening to recently (the radio? It seems unlikely this version would come on!), but I heard this. It stirs up a couple of things. It's a tangle of The Big Lebowski and driving around somewhere diligently listening and trying to translate.
I think of your Dad and I both first heard this (independently) in that movie. It's a remake of the Eagles song by The Gipsy Kings. Flamenco-ized and translated into Spanish. It's actually pretty cool. And we know your dad appreciates a new spin on the old (while still loving the old). Your dad had it burned on a disc during our 2004 adventure. That's where I come in. I recall listening to it over and over in the car with your dad, attempting to translate the Spanish back into English. I didn't know the English lyrics, but your dad could confirm. Did we come to a conclusion? I don't know. All I recall from it when I listen now is champana en el hielo/champagne on ice. They're singing too fast! And my EspaƱol is getting to be nearly 2 decades out of practice. Ugh.

Spanish lyrics - I can still pick up words, but you know words don't a sentence make. Well they do, but not the way I see them.
On the desert road, the wind somethings me.Up comes the aroma of colita. What's colita? Ha! The moon, the moon of no-one. There in the distance a light centela. The idea of my being.

See? Doesn't work! But I'm still glad I studied language. ;)

No comments: