Thursday, June 3, 2010

A hose, two toddlers and newly upturned soil

Aka setting oneself up for an audition on Nanny 911.



We've been moving some plants around, taking out dead and dying ones. Your dad moved these flowers about a week ago. We hadn't gotten around to putting mulch down yet. And since I had my helpers with me, one of them (Ms Zoe) thought she'd help stir the soil a bit.



And this is where I wonder if I'm being way too much of a laid back mom. I suppose I can choose to pick my battles. Getting messy and dirty just doesn't seem like one I feel like fighting now. I mean I'm sure it's a lot of fun to do that. And I always remember one of the nurses at the special care unit telling us to send pictures as you two got older. "All messy and dirty and playing in the mud - we love that" or something to that effect. Kids being kids. I guess that struck me at the time and I think of it when I see you two having fun in the yard. It's just dirt.

Sure, I SUPPOSE I should be chasing you away from the dirt and the mud and the buggies and the worms and all that fun stuff. But why? It's FUN.

(note to self: Sometimes you have to acknowledge the voices in your head that tell you that you're doing something the WRONG way and explain to them that it's not the wrong way for you. Someday kids, maybe this will mean something. Or maybe, hopefully, you won't have the voice in your head that makes you wonder if everything you're doing is wrong... Okay, too much sharing ;)



I do draw the line when the buffet line starts. No sampling the dirt, kids. The funny thing about this is that the finger goes in the first time, then the hand goes in to wipe away the dirt. Doesn't work as expected.




Meanwhile Roman helps clean up (and the house is actually fully sided now - hurrah! minus the 1% cleanup/fix/something or other your dad wants to/ needs to (?) do.

No comments: