Thursday, December 31, 2009

Did you know you could have a conversation about pencils?

Yesterday Mike and I were driving in the car to IKEA (they of shorty, stubby, eraser-less pencils). On was the radio. Of the talk variety. Of the tirade variety (but of the local kind, from the one person I can stand...) He was going on about something and said something about what he'd written with his Ticonderoga.

Ticonderoga.

This spurred a conversation about pencils. I knew I'd heard that word before. Mike knew specifically which pencil was referenced. He could describe it, down to the color band on the metal band just below the eraser (green lines). Can't say I could. I've been living off the same bunch of One-Spot Target pencils (Christmas ones from several years ago, Napolean Dynamite, Cars...in a word: crappy). I had a memory of a great pencil. The name I couldn't quite remember. Black- something. Mike did too- the Black Warrior. I knew mine was Black, but not Warrior. And something to do with Indians.
Thank you Google -Blackfeet Indian Pencil. Read all about it on Pencil.com. Yes, Pencil.com.
I loved those pencils. I think my Dad had them (I must have been rifling thru his desk...). #2, but the lead was softer and wrote darker. That's what Mike liked about the Black Warriors- they were good for drawing.

When I worked at a music instrument building shop we send along a pencil with every order. Those pencils were very much like the Blackfeet pencils, and the Black Warrior I suspect. Nice pencil.
Makes me want to go on a search for some nice pencils.

Wow. More pencil talk.. So many gradients!

2 comments:

Jane said...

I remember those Blackfoot Indian pencils. Your dad, Jon, had a wooden box of them. They were the Cadillac of pencils.
I haven't thought much about pencils lately but have one story about pencils from the past. When your brother Dan (uncle Dan to the twins) was in sixth grade his teacher told him not to put his pencil in his mouth or he would get lead poisoning. As a mom I had to do a little remedial teaching. Grandma Jane

Jon Baltes said...

Thats where all my pencils went, after all this time I can rest easy knowing it was my daughter who was taking my pencils instead of some thief in the night breaking into our house in south Minneapolis