Monday, March 22, 2010

Warning: Kids at Play

A few more pictures from our Sunday at the park.



It's nice to have two parents when you have two kids. I'll never forget the single twin baby mama we chatted with in Target when I was pregnant. I don't know how she does it (and neither does she). I don't know how I'd do it without your dad. He makes it all so fun.



In case you didn't know, wood chips are a lot of fun. Note the right hand flinging them behind him.



I think we've progressed. Instead of staying in the woodchips and attempting to eat them, we made some attempt at play, and CLIMBING. Oh boy.



Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, Roman! Oh how happy you two get when we applaud you. Now if we couldn't all just do that once and awhile to break the tension. Go ahead and try it. YEAH! You did the dishes! Yeah! You got out of bed and conquered the day. Yeah! Good for you. There's nothing wrong with a little pat on the back.



Or a little arm shaking.
Zoe likes to dance. Or, maybe more appropriately, she likes to be held while mama dances. It starts with the music (the Wiggles Go Bananas comes to mind). The it starts with "ah, ah, ah" and then the arms up in the arm. PICK ME UP MOM. And twirl. And Rock. And sing. Zoe likes that. But little girl, we gotta get you dancing all on your own. We need to practice for Laura and Andy's wedding at the end of August.



We got you on this horse, for about 2 seconds. Not quite ready to stay seated on it. "Down!", which in this case works. "Down" can mean a lot of things. "Down" can mean "get me down from here" or "down" can mean "pick me up" or "down" can mean "get me out of the bath" or "down" can mean "get me out of the high chair". Ah, the many meanings of ZoRo "down". It never ceases to amaze me how sophisticated language really is. Subtle differences that you just know. I've found this when studying foreign language too. You just know what you know. You kind of take it for granted.


At this point Zoe was probably eyeing that dog. She too likes dogs. Our neighbor brought their dog over yesterday afternoon when we were in the backyard. It took a few minutes, but Zoe was right there giving her a little to the top of the head. Once again a moment that reinforces the fact that despite my best protest there will one day be a dog in our family.




More vocabulary: No. No can mean yes. No can mean no. No can mean NO.
Question: Do you want juice?
Answer: "No." Two seconds later you're anxiously taking the sippy cup.

Question: Do you want to go to bed? Nigh Nigh?
Answer: No. Nigh nigh (goes and gets blanket).

Question: Do you want to take a nap?
Answer: No no no no no no (mostly Roman).
If only I could explain the tone of this one. It's not the same. It's a tired, frustrated no. Ah, baby boy.
Not so baby anymore.



Go get 'em!



Daddy wants to take you in for a haircut Roman. Oh boy. I know it's just hair, but that's the first one. Your BABY hair...I flash forward to you leaving the house to go off and make your own life (college, military, backpacking across the world, whatever) and I think of how sad that will be. I realize you need to grow up and experience the world. But part of me wants to keep you this way forever.
But I have to remind myself it's not your age so much, it's that we are so connected. Your world is so small and your dependence on us so great. We get to see it all. Your easy smile. Your joyous laughter (A tickle from Daddy!) The intrigue elicited by a dog. The comfort brought by a snuggly blanket. mElmo! nErnie! A chunk of banana (or half of one in your mouth at once).




A tree.

I want to keep you connected. I want to maintain the unfiltered, uncomplicated and pure connection. It's very life-affirming.



But to you it's just another day.
Another full afternoon exploring the world.



So much to see, so much to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I want to keep you connected. I want to maintain the unfiltered, uncomplicated and pure connection. It's very life-affirming."
So true and how well I remember! Love to read your thoughts to Ro and Zo. Also the 'no's' reminded me of "The Fuzzywump." :-)
Smiles and love, annie