Thursday, October 13, 2011

What a pleasant surprise

Last Wednesday I really, really wanted to go somewhere special. Somewhere where FALL was on full display. It dawned on me - the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum would be the perfect place.

It was.
Even more so I think because of a couple special/temporary "decorations".
To start: Steelroots.

We hadn't visited yet this year, and these sculptures have been placed throughout the grounds since April. This one caught my eye as we passed it on the drive in. 


I actually turned my head to get another glimpse and knew we had to make the walk over to go see it up close.


I love the color and the twisty, twirly, somewhat cranky aspect of it. No hanging Roman, no hanging!


And after reading the description, I was more impressed. Cast from actual root systems.
What lies beneath the surface, kiddos. 


Complicated, twisty and often quite beautiful. But don't expect everyone to appreciate it.

No comments: