Monday, April 5, 2010

da Zoo

I have this romantic notion about Como Zoo. I've been going there since I was very little. And now Zoe and Roman can say the same thing.

I have good memories of watching the seals outside (and those stinky fish you could buy to feed them). Of the molded plastic animals (of a gorilla? Those smelled bad too). The big old snake behind glass (yuck!).

And the last few times I've been there I have been underwhelmed. Sometimes memory will do that - I need to let go and let it become something new.

It's a great place to go (at the "right" time - when it's not packed) because it's smack dab in the middle of St Paul and it's a donation only entrance (sometimes it's nice to avoid the $20 fee or whatever the other Zoo charges). It's small. It's familiar.




But when you get there mid afternoon it's nap time for the aminals.



That doesn't stop Zoe from making a "RAHR!" sound.








Or from gazing at the Mountain Lions.

And the weirdly named something or other. Ramalang a ding dong?


An orangutan and it's baby. OOOOOHhh.
We took a quick meander around the grounds outside the grounds, since the zoo closed at 4pm. Who would expect short sleeve weather in March?

Roman, playing possum.


We made our way over toward the ball fields, to the grassy patch that Zoe, Roman and I went to last year. That feels like forever ago. Forever. You two are so different now. Back then I put you down on a blanket and let you roll around (about 3 feet). Not so much anymore.

Run free, little kidlets, run free!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"da zoo" What a delightful afternoon vignette! Ro and Zo are blessed. A 'penny for their thoughts.'

annie