Sunday, April 25, 2010

Next time we walk this far, we're driving

So says your dad after a lengthy walk to the nature center on the nearby river.




Snakes... ("ssssss")



turtles... ("tuhtles")



Puzzles.... (no, you don't know that word yet).
Who knew? They built this in the last 6 or 7 years. I'd never been there. It isn't the nicest location, wedged between the interstate and the river. But HEY, it's what we've got.
I always try to remember kids in big cities who have no backyard. And very little in the way of parks. Or even if they have a park it has to be shared with a million other people (probably quite literally).

No whine zone (and it's become a no wine zone as well...)

1 comment:

Jane said...

Good line, Mike. I do understand what you meant. Sometimes I walk "too far" then realize I have to walk back.
Mary, you commented about not remembering nature walks as a kid. We did 'em. Remember walks by Minnehaha Falls down to the Mississippi in south Mpls? Remember the parkway, Lake Nokomis and bike trips? Remember camping up by Lake Superior and following paths by those rivers in the state parks? Remember canoeing down the St., Croix river and Minnehaha Creek? If you were ever scared of nature it might be that I imparted my loathing and fear of snakes to you.