Thursday, September 29, 2011

We still love you..


MN Childrens Museum. I was off work for a week (good timing for a break - yikes!), so we had time to explore our towns and on one drizzly day we ventured inside.  There was a new exhibit since we last went - Storybook something or other (me: not the marketering sloganeering spreader).  Actually a lot of kids books I hadn't read. Like this one.  Not a clue.


Interesting enough you both picked up the phone and pretended to talk, so the object above isn't totally foreign. You even tried to dial the rotary dial. 


Don't get too excited. This is how you both hung the phone up. I'm pretty sure there was a point in my childhood when this is all we had. And I recall when the phone company (one of them) started the "service" of producing that annoying sound when the phone isn't hung up. No luck here. So we left it for another unsuspecting toddler to find.


In the same scene, a tv "set". Yep, we had one of those mammoth pieces of furniture too. Bigger than this puppy. The one that predominated my childhood  (yes, they lasted years and years) had push buttons on the front. All the channels were there. 2 all the way up to 13. Not that we had actual stations on  more than 5 of them, but hey beggers can't be choosers is what I say (way too much).


The one book we did recognize was Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom. I didn't get a good shot of the display, but  I'd recommend this book for your late night reading roster. That's a good one. Read it aloud. Don't have a preschooler? That will only make it more interesting.
It was only when I got home that I noticed the woman in the background with the exasperated hand placement. Yeah, we've all been there sister.


And quickly becoming one of my favorite places: the curiosity center (again, I may have that totally wrong, but it's something generically vague like that...). This time it was 'create your own paintbrush'. Or 'let mom create your own paintbrush' while you play with all the goodies spread out before you. Reminds me that I should get out the kids scissors and allow for supervised cutting time. No more gobs of hair, mind you.


And what good is a paintbrush without some paint?
Did  yourt pictures turn out as gray and muddy brown swatches? Sure. But we had fun doing it, and that's what matters.


We spent the last part of the day in the baby/under 4 area. You guys still had fun in there and we capped it off with a little time on the comfy chairs in the reading area of that section. I like the kids sized chairs, bean bags and nice comfy couch from which to watch you crawl, climb and dump books all over the floor. 

Man, what a great place to be a kid.

No comments: