Saturday, December 6, 2008

Another visitor from Chicago...

This week Mike's cousin Ron(ny) was in town on business and stayed with us for a few nights. Here, he holds Zoe. It was fun to spend some time with their 2nd cousin (??) and for Mommy to get to know him a little better and for Dad to catch up. Chances are we'll see him once and awhile when he makes his way up to this neck of the woods. I'm sure he'll see big changes between visits. Welcome to our cast of characters on the blog, Ron(ny)!
[I asked him if he liked being called Ron or Ronny. Mike calls him Ronny, but I know how family can be...Nicknames aren't always what everyone else calls you. Mikey. Mike. Mary. Mary. Doesn't work, although my family nickname is Mamie, from my little brother's mispronunciation of my name...AT ANY RATE...I have so deemed you Ron(ny). Well, at least for as long as I remember deeming you that. My memory ain't' what it used to be]

Tangent: When thinking about this blog post (hard to believe advanced thought comes with this, eh?) my brain synapses put together a memory of a book I used to like as a little one. One of those Little Golden books called something like "Pete and Penny". It was what we'd now call retro, the drawings looked like something from decades before. I'm guessing it was written/illustrated in the 40's or 50's. There's a page where their uncle comes to visit. He brings them a vial of iron ore from the Iron Range in Minnesota. Even then it seemed odd to me, except I was somehow impressed that Minnesota (my home) was in the story. The story progresses (somehow!) with Pete and Penny (twins?) becoming somewhat bored with all the things they used to enjoy, their toys broken etc. The book ends with Mom coming home with... a new baby!

Don't expect that one, kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So tickled to see Zoe and cousin Ron (ny) and so glad he could visit and can in the future too. And, I loved the Curious George stories of Mary and Grandma B.

Love, anniewhoisoenjoyingyourblogs

Jane said...

Good thing not all nicknames stick. Your brother Dave called you Mamie, you called him "Daisy" and brother Dan was "Didi". I didn't promote those monikers for the boys. I still like Mamie.
Love the recent videos. When I miss the kids, I fire up the blog.
Grandma B