Tuesday, December 30, 2008

E. Mary and Peaches (Annie)

more from Annie...

Now, we have at last reached the entry of your Great Grandmother Mary, into the story!

Another pair of high school sweethearts, Verna H and Earl B must enter the story first.
They were married Dec. 1, 1922. Then, E. Mary was born three years later: March 4, 1925. The first photo I have of her is with her puppy Peaches.



He almost looks like a toy in the picture, but he is a real doggie!



As you can see Mary loved him and isn't she a cutie? This love of doggies was with her all of her life. My mom and dad had given her the puppy.

Mary was about seven years old when I entered the scene and the next photo is a postcard that her mother, Verna, wrote to my Dad (Wendell, her brother) about a month after I was born.



The other side is dated Nov. 3, 1932 and it was sent for one penny! I include it because of the sentence in it where Mary laments that I 'will be as big as she is before she sees me!' This was still in the years when the Great Depression in our country was in full swing, so any opportunity for work could not be missed! Burlington (where I was 'on view') was about 80 miles from Cuba where Mary and her parents were at the time.

Well, it was a bit sooner than that as the last photo attached shows!



It was spring in Illinois as you can tell by the spirea blooming in the background. I was approximately six months old and Mary seven years. The photo was taken on the southside of the Pleasant Row House (the home of Grandpa John and Grandma Edna) as most all the family photos I have were. It was the biggest spot and also with the best light. This is the first photo of us together, but not the last nor the many memories we made in life together!

No comments: