Friday, December 26, 2008

A new tradition


Your great Grandma E Mary's cousin Annie has been posting comments on your blog and has forwarded some history of your family which we'll be sharing here shortly. Included in the last week was this scan of her recipe for Butterscotch Bars. I made them for Christmas, only I improvised a little bit. I didn't follow the directions on your dad's favorite, 7 layer bars, so I had a bunch of the topping that crumbled off. Those "leftovers" of nuts, coconut, chocolate & butterscotch chips took the place of the "nuts or coconut" in the recipe. It turned out pretty good.

E. Mary's Butterscotch Sticks

1/2 c shortening
2 c brown sugar
2 eggs
2 c sifted* flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c nuts or coconut
1/2 tsp vanilla

Melt shortening, add sugar. Blend & cool
Add beaten eggs & vanilla.
Sift* dry ingredients and add to shortening mixture.
Spread on greased pan and bake 30 minutes in 350 degree oven.
Cut into sticks and let cool in the pan.


Another cookie I think I'll always make is the Melting Moment. My favorite Christmas cookie. The recipe is here for posterity...

Melting Moments
1 c soft butter
1/3 c powdered sugar
3/4 c cornstarch
1 c flour

frosting:
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla/lemon flavoring
1 c powdered sugar
enough cream to spread

Cream butter, gradually added powdered sugar. Add flour & cornstarch, mix well.
Chill 1 hour.
Form into balls and bake for 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven.


*I came home from 7th grade Home Education class and asked grandma where her sifter was. She said she'd never used one and we didn't really need one. I've baked a lot of goodies since then (and tested my share ;( )and she seems to be right - no one's every complained! So, I never sift. Sift if you like, but don't sift if you don't like.

No comments: